What is nutritional medicine?
Nutritional Medicine is an approach that considers the connection between the food and nutrients we eat and our health and wellbeing. Nutritional Medicine focuses on modifying and monitoring consumption to promote healthy organ function, improve metabolism and the encourage the release of toxins. The Nutritional Medicine approach can be used in combination with, or instead of drugs and medication to improve symptoms and reduce the severity of disease leading to enhanced quality of life.
How can nutritional medicine help?
This approach addresses general health and wellbeing issues, specific physical conditions and chronic ongoing disease by reducing the severity of symptoms and reliance on medication.
A nutritional medicine consult is ideal for people who are:
- Not feeling well, but don’t have a diagnosis
- Having difficulty managing weight
- Trying to conceive (both Mum and Dad)
- Athletes needing advise on Sports nutrition.
- Managing Autoimmune conditions, hormonal imbalance, thyroid conditions,PCOS
- Diabetes and insulin resistance
- Need help with cooking and managing a balanced diet
- Need suggestions on how to shop and cook
- Looking at general wellbeing and fitness
- Women’s and Men’s Health
A nutritional medicine consult is ideal for people who suffer from :
- Mental Health problems
- Chronic Illness and Disease
- Sleep problems
- Musculoskeletal pain, general aches and pains
- Ongoing & unsolved Medical Problems
- Allergies, Skin Conditions (psoriasis, dermatitis, acne, boils, itching, hives, eczema)
- Irritable Bowel, Gut dysbiosis, indigestion, constipation, diarrhoea
- Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue
- Respiratory conditions
- Food Intolerances
- Liver and kidney Disorders
- Stress & fatigue, low energy
- Headaches and migraines
- Poor circulation
What happens in a typical consult?
Patient and Practitioner confidentiality is maintained at all times.
Initial 90 minute consult:
Full family and medical history will be discussed along with presenting signs and symptoms in a safe, non-judgemental, confidential environment. These are our tools to assess how your body is functioning. We look at the whole body, which should be working in unison to get optimal results.
Nutritional co-factors are taken into consideration and we discuss any current or past medications that may have an impact. We look at every system, and consider all the information to present you with an individualised treatment plan targeting optimal health, prevention of further disease and management of any existing conditions.
Blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respiratory rate will be taken along with any other physical examination that may be relevant to presenting symptoms.
Zinc Tally test
Will be carried out to assess your level of zinc
Food intake will be assessed and positive changes will be discussed depending on your treatment plan. Your diet will be throughly analysed using the latest software and the report will be delivered at your follow-up consult.
Body composition measuring weight, height, body fat, fluid, muscle and BMI.
Dietary interventions and supplements may be prescribed if needed.
Follow up Consults:
We’ll move forward in assessing the direction of treatment according to any improvements or other presenting symptoms. We’ll review your symptoms, sleep, general wellbeing, energy, discuss your ongoing health concerns and you’ll receive an evidence-based treatment plan based on your initial 90 minute consult.