Serves 6 people
500g Black organic rice- rinsed
1 cup Cooked Red quinoa
1 Large or 2 small beetroots roasted
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons of Coconut or 3 Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 litre of H2O
2 tablespoons of nutritional Yeast &/Or Vegetable stock powder
1 small sweet potato grated or spiralised
2 small or 1 large lime – Juice and zest
2-4 Kaffir Lime leaves
4 sprigs of Thyme
Small handful of Basil ( optional)
small Handful of tarragon ( optional)
4 Lemon Balm leaves (optional)
1 Bunch Broccolini (including 2-4 cm of ends diced)
1 bunch asparagus (including 2-4 cm of ends diced)
1/4 Cup of crumbed goats cheese
- Roast beetroot with a little EVOO when cooked cool a little and blitz to a puree with water and then put aside.
- Heat a heavy pan – cast iron if you have with either coconut or EVOO -add garlic , onions, shallots, leek, kaffir lime leaves and ends of asparagus and broccolini.
- Add lime juice and zest – stir- 30-45 secs.
- Add washed black rice, stock and nutritional yeast and 1 cup of water. Keep stirring until water has gone add another cup of water and keep repeating this process until rice is nearly cooked.
- Add in red quinoa- stir through.
- Add Beetroot puree if gone thick add extra water.
- Last but not least add in Sweet potato and stir through for about 2-3 mins.
- Serve with Steamed Broccolini drizzles with some olive oil and some Goats Cheese (Optional)
Did you Know that cooking in a cast iron pot helps absorb Iron from pot into your food – great for those that are iron deficient
Did you know the Nutritional Content of BLACK RICE????
Great Magnesium Source
Serving size; 1/4 cup uncooked black rice
1.5 grams of fat,
34 grams of carbohydrates
2 grams of fibre
- One serving of Black Rice contains around 160 calories.
- Very high in Fiber
- Not glutinous or rough
- Substantial mineral content
- Good source of Iron
- Good source of important Amino Acids
- Minor amounts of Vitamin B
Nutritional data (per 100g):
Nutrient Amount Alanine 0.437 g Arginine 0.569 g Ash 1.27 g Aspartic acid 0.702 g Calcium, Ca 33 mg Carbohydrate, by difference 76.17 g Copper, Cu 0.277 mg Cystine 0.091 g Energy 1515 kj Energy 362 kcal Fatty acids, total monounsaturated 0.971 g Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated 0.959 g Fatty acids, total saturated 0.536 g Fiber, total dietary 3.4 g Folate, DFE 20 mcg_DFE Folate, food 20 mcg Folate, total 20 mcg Glutamic acid 1.528 g Glycine 0.369 g Histidine 0.190 g Iron, Fe 1.80 mg Isoleucine 0.318 g Leucine 0.620 g Lysine 0.286 g Magnesium, Mg 143 mg Manganese, Mn 3.743 mg Methionine 0.169 g Niacin 4.308 mg Pantothenic acid 1.493 mg Phenylalanine 0.387 g Phosphorus, P 264 mg Potassium, K 268 mg Proline 0.352 g Protein 7.50 g Riboflavin 0.043 mg Serine 0.388 g Sodium, Na 4 mg Thiamin 0.413 mg Threonine 0.275 g Total lipid (fat) 2.68 g Tryptophan 0.096 g Tyrosine 0.281 g Valine 0.440 g Vitamin B-6 0.509 mg Water 12.37 g Zinc, Zn 2.02 mg